Friday, August 22, 2008

Tires and more tires

We purchased four new tires for "Stan the Van" as my minivan is affectionately known as on 6/30/08, right before I took my last trip down to Huntsville, AL with the girls. Of course the roads were pretty rough considering all the potholes and construction but I was noticing some "shimmy" at certain speed ranges. I overlooked it.

Well, a few weeks ago I finally called our mechanic. I told him I knew it couldn't be tires as we had just replaced all four of them and he said to take the van back and double-check the balance before bringing Stan in.

So I did. And lo' and behold I had a defective tire. They said I was about to throw tread. I had it replaced.

And I noticed it drove better . . . but still a little vibration.

Earlier this week I returned and explained that I just felt there was problem. I didn't see a bump/bulge but at times it almost felt like I was hydroplaning. I'm about to have four children in the van with me and I need it to be safe.

And . . . presto! Another bad tire. They said the steel belt must have frayed or something because the tire LOOKED good, but could not be balanced.

I still had to pay 11.88 for disposal and such which I didn't agree with. But . . . oh well.

Guess what I felt as I drove HOME from the tire place? Yep, you got it! Not bad but there. I'm calling Marty as I am on my way home . . . wanting HIM to "fix it" somehow. I'm frustrated and between the stressors of leaving/preparation and just wanting it to be right I'm showing the strain.

So, I return Thursday and Marty is with me. As we approach a technician questions me . . .
"Light blue Honda minivan?? NO!!!" I don't know whether to laugh or cry. It IS ridiculous. I'm now hesitant to drive it though and afraid of a blowout with my children in the car.

They inspect the tires as we browse. We return.

And there is a difference of opinion as to whether I should have ever been charged for tread wear since the purchase was so recent but we are at a 75% failure rate. We are getting all new tires. Different brand. Higher mileage.

We waited a while but the girls were swimming at the hotel with Aunt Mary and Uncle Craig.

One less thing hopefully to deal with.

1 comment:

SisterMom said...

sorry about the tires, but on a more positive I can't wait for you to meet your boys! I absolutely loved both of them! Except hide your arm fat from Tekleab and any "muffin top" from Abel. I speak sadly from experience. Have SO SO much fun, I am so jealous!