Sunday, August 31, 2008

Home Again, Home Again - Jiggity Jog

Wow. After about 30 hours of flights, airline food, countless trips to the bathroom, delays, seven security checks, one fright with a very curious boy who simply decided he was independent enough to go to the bathroom without permission/telling/accompaniment (Washington Dulles Airport), probably 25 granola bars (I think the boys think we LIVE on those things), missed flight, etc. we landed in Madison, WI around 6:30 yesterday evening. We got our one bag (long story in that we had to recheck it in Chicago as we had missed our flight and then got the "special" security check with the pat-down since we had to grab our bag then re-enter another terminal), and Marty held both boys hands with the rolling suitcase and a backpack and I had the rolling carry-on with a backpack and various other carry-ons draped, stacked, etc. I wish I had a photo of it but at that point I was too exhausted to attempt to stop to snap the image.



So why am I typing at 4:30 on Sunday morning when I've had less than 10 hours of sleep out of the past four days (yes, I figured it up)? My sons are used to Ethiopian time which is 8 hours ahead of us. They are awake and Samuel has very good projection for such a little guy. To my utter dismay Samuel woke apparently for the day around 3:30 and asked for water and then to go to the bathroom. I wanted to cry when Paul not only got up but then proceeded to change from his Superman pajamas to his brand new soccer outfit (football to them) complete with socks and such (we haven't showed them the guards or they haven't figured them out), washed his face, and proceeded to start playing with his new soccer ball and ask to go ride his bike some more. Agh!



But Samuel fell asleep on the way home from the airport (about a 45 minute ride) and did not ever wake up. Shoot, both boys fell asleep HARD on the flight from Chicago (a total of 28 minutes air time) and Paul then drifted off within three miles of home yesterday. Once we got him out of the van though - he was up and awake and exploring for the next 3+ hours.



I took a MUCH needed shower almost immediately upon our return and we realized that Mary Romer and her dear friend Tish had just checked into the Comfort Suites in Johnson Creek and had our daughters just a few minutes away. Marty then jumped in the shower and I went outside where Paul was BUSY with his bicycle and determined to get a handle on speed, brakes, and steering. Samuel was simply placed in the bottom bunk of their room where he stayed until 12:48 the next morning when he climbed in bed with Marty and I.



Then the big moment arrived. Marty had just emerged from the shower in his shorts and T-shirt (which had Paul's huge eyes taking in the impression since men in Ethiopia don't wear shorts) and Mary Romer's van pulled around the driveway, across the front of our bow-window in the living room, and to the garage. I gingerly stepped outside (bare, tender feet) - behind Paul. He is so very inquisitive. Mary Phillipson was already in the driveway and I was astonished at how grown-up she seemed. Her hair was pulled to the side in a ponytail as Tish was considerate enough to think of how a ponytail might be uncomfortable when strapped in a car seat for the long trip. Julia just looked different. She had remnants of chocolate chip cookie at the corners of her mouth. I probably would have burst into tears at seeing them again if I had the energy to produce them.



And the girls? They were tickled pink to see us - but no more so than if they had been playing in their room for an hour and emerged to announce their presence in the living room. That was affirmation to me that it was all just fine. They were all excited to tell us of adventures, show us new coats they had, and new soccer outfits for the boys (official) complete with socks, guards, soccer bags, and each boy has an official soccer ball. Paul was quiet but appreciative. He disappeared to his room and emerged in complete gear in no time. Mary Romer has pictures of him in his get-up and also one with the girls and will send with her iPhone. I have no idea of where my camera is.



So, we adults were catching up and realized that there was no noise. We went to the girls' room (where the upstairs toys are as the boys' room isn't complete) and nada. Oh no! I wasn't intending to introduce Paul to the basement playroom yet as there is clutter in one end but toys, toys, toys in the other. Of course the girls were dragging out things and Paul was perched on the wonder-horse happily bouncing up and down. They were relaxed and just content to be.



We adults continued touching base and the children emerged upstairs with laughter and excitement to the girls' room (we had already been in the boys' room and observed Samuel sleeping). Mary announced wardrobe change complete with tutu and sunglasses glasses (since her brother was dressed up in her eyes). I tried to tell Paul that Mary Romer was my sister and Mary Phillipson was telling him that she was his sister. It was just sweet.



Eventually Mary Romer and Tish left (all too soon) and we got the kids in bed. We wanted to watch the Packers play but the toll of the trip was too great. We were in bed at 10:15.



Of course Samuel climbed in less than three hours later and the rest . . . well you know.



I'll try to backtrack and tell you stories and fill in as I can. We had dial-up in Ethiopia and since blogger is blocked in that country I couldn't see what I had sent (especially since I couldn't contact for a few days as my emails had the blog address in my signature and thus didn't allow me to send them). I can't tell you how many emails I "lost" after pouring out my heart . . . they wouldn't even "save" either. Agh!



But we got the boys. We got home safely. We got our girls back.



And I have to tell you about my sister-in-law, Sheryl. I left my house . . . a wreck. It was disheveled at best and of course it needed the floors cleaned and everything dusted before I left - and that was before the dogs were here for another week. I walked in to smell freshness. My floors look better than I can remember seeing. The house was so nice. It sparkled. The kids rooms were amazing. Mary saw her upper bunk and said "Mom - my bed is so ORGANIZED." I have a refrigerator full of meals, milk, bread and desserts lined on the countertop. Mary Romer (who was here of course right before we left since she got the girls) immediately suspected an angel had been of assistance (hehe - she knew that it wasn't possible for us to have pulled it off after having seen the house 24 hours before we left). Mike had assembled the boys bikes we had bought earlier this year and they were waiting at the garage door and taken out our trash (we only get one pickup bi-weekly) and let the dogs out each morning. Carol Infalt (our pet-sitter who would come twice more daily to tend to the animals) had again played good-fairy and filled the boys' bedroom with all sorts of stuffed animals . . . lots of monkeys and gorillas in there.



Paul takes it all in with his HUGE eyes and intense scrutiny. He is pleased.



Samuel? Hehe - he is still marching around and I have shushed him this morning probably 200 times. He has no volume control and is set to "blast" mode.



Paul has fallen asleep now on the futon in the living room with children's TV on. I just heard a crash so I need to investigate. I'm dying here - it was Samuel who was scaling the child-gate we had put at the end of the hall to keep the dogs from entering the bedrooms (Paul was overwhelmed). The canines are out right now but I was trying to keep the boys from the girls' room and from keeping EVERYONE from being able to rest.



I love all of you guys. Thank you so much for lifting us in prayer. We have a long adjustment ahead but right now just simply rest. We have so very many blessings and I have no doubts that we can make it.



Please continue to pray for us to be exactly who God needs us to be for these children (all of them). Rest will make a HUGE difference. I'm not sure when that will be accomplished but I am home. HOME. It is humbling to know how loved we are.



I'll get to posting and adding photos (we have about 2000 with what the boys took - probably of which 10% of theirs is acceptable) when I can.


Peace.

3 comments:

Kim Walton said...

Welcome home!

sounds like all is going exceptionally well.....just a little bit more sleep now! the boys are obviulsly so excited about investigating everything, but soon the exhaustion will overtake them and they will sleep more!

Kim

Karmen and Greg said...

Welcome home!!!! I thought of you all day yesterday wondering how the boys would find their new home. What an AMAZING family you have to get things so ready for you!!! Can't WAIT to see the pictures, but we'll let you take a few days for settling in with your new family before we hound you! : )

Karmen

Lisa said...

Welcome home! I loved reading your posts and can't wait for pictures as well! Praying that you quickly find a comfortable routine and all continues to fall into place. Can't wait to meet your boys!