Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Parental Unit - Carole





Goodness, now I'm talking about myself! This isn't easy.

I'm a transplanted Southern gal who found herself living in the Midwest, married to my favorite person, and now a stay-at-home mother to soon-to-be four children. I still have my accent. Although I embrace where I am I will always have those Southern roots and I realize with each trip home (now Alabama although I have never lived there) that I miss little things about being in the South . . . and I don't miss many others (HEAT, HUMIDITY). I'd like to think that I have the ability to grow where planted and that I would be content about anywhere that my family is.



I'm no saint. I have a temper that can flash and can find myself discouraged in the face of all that God has promised me. I get angry at unjust situations and meanness. I am protective of my family. I'm uncoordinated. I can find a song that will fit just about any quirky situation and love singing. Although I used to play guitar, those skills have faded from lack of cultivation/practice. Reading used to be a favorite but now when I start a book I find myself waking with my face pressed in the pages (and checking for drool). I enjoy gardening (although I sometimes give up when the grass creeps in) and animals.



I was married before a looooong time ago (over a quarter of a century) and that experience served to make me that much more appreciative of the immense blessings I find bestowed on myself.



The prospect of more children while approaching 50 is not scary at all. I think faith plays such a huge role in all of this and it so very hard to try to explain to those who haven't experienced it.



And we are not out to "save" the world. We are not angels for reaching out or selfless. Actually, I think I'm being pretty selfish. I have this wonderful life and partner who enjoys his family as do I. We may not have a dishwasher (don't GET me going) but we have a lot of love, support, and the means to provide for our children. We have laughter. We have DOGS and a cat. We have God and a love that is a reflection of His love for us. We wanted more children - simply. I want the opportunity to parent boys. I love my girls (and we requested that Julia be a girl so it isn't a matter of having this unfulfilled desire to have a son). Our sons needed a second chance at having family. We have the opportunity to become that family for them and grow beyond our imagination.


Isn't it awesome that with adoption there is such POTENTIAL? Isn't it with any situation if you simply listen and take heed where the Spirit leads you?

3 comments:

Donna said...

I'm loving your blog, Carole! You have a talent for writing, you speak from your heart with a sense of humour :)

Elizabeth Bergeron said...

Lots of good thoughts here!! Glad to see you blogging. :)

Karmen and Greg said...

I'm with Wendy & Donna -- your flare for writing is just wonderful! I enjoy reading your blog and am glad you took the time to introduce yourself too. I kind of caught on to the "singing" thing last weekend -- and you have a beautiful voice! Someday we'll have to duet ;)

Karmen