Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Parental Unit - Marty









First there is Marty. Oh goodness - what can I say about this man? First of all I may be prejudiced because I am crazy-wild for him. I waited a long time to find him (can you say . . . 42 years?) and all that was before simply pales in comparison to what is NOW.



Marty is genuine. He's gregarious and friendly and simply REAL. What you see is what you get. He's comfortable in his own skin and such a jokester. When asked for input he will offer his perspective and then its up to you to accept or pass it over (well, maybe not for ME as much). I find this trait very intriguing and sometimes unappreciated. If you don't accept his thoughts and you find yourself in a pickle he will NOT be the one to say "I told you so." Rather, he'll leave it to you to determine where the task went wrong. There aren't too many men that don't feel the need to have their stamp on everything. His strength of character is remarkable as he doesn't need constant stroking or approval.







Marty cherishes his family - maybe because we met/married later in life, but somehow I don't think so. I feel appreciated. I don't take being loved for granted. He appreciates his family - both the children and myself as well as our extended families. He thinks my family is about as neat as sliced bread. They "get" him as well in turn.



Fatherhood is cherished. I can honestly say that this man soaks in the joy of parenting like the best of the pack. Yes, it can get tedious and tiring and such. But his zest for life is simply contagious and he embraces his children with a joy that is palpable. He leads by quiet example and at times will be simply goofy to relate to the girls (and soon-to-be boys) best. I've marveled at how he lets down his guard and opens up and lets his inner child step forward and interact with these children we have been blessed to raise. He's so much more PHYSICAL than I ever would attempt. When we first met Julia she would flinch and protest at any action that lifted her, especially any quick movement or being held away from the body. Now? Shoot she adores being swung out and flipped upside down. She's going to be a roller-coaster rider. I would not have tested her to broaden her boundaries, but with her father she is fearless. I still look at him holding her up near the ceiling and seeing her mouth fly open in utter joy and think . . . isn't is marvelous how God made us to complement each other?







Don't get me wrong - his lap/recliner is a hot-spot in our household. We've recently put a one-child limit on this position to enable more one-on-one bonding and the girls rotate regularly. Wonder what's around the bend for us?







Either way, we're just happy to be here, to be together, to be in this wonderful adventure that God has allowed us to experience. Forget retirement and travels (although I cannot complain as I got to see CHINA and am headed to ETHIOPIA)! At this point I'd rather experience my children's laughter.

1 comment:

Karmen and Greg said...

What a wonderful tribute! God has blessed you greatly!

Karmen