Friday, August 15, 2008

Furry friends and surroundings






The boys are coming home to pets. We had heard that hyenas could be a very real threat in Ethiopia and since our dogs are large (70# and up) we wanted to get them used to the idea of having companions. Our second album we sent to them from us contained multiple photos of the dogs and cat along with the girls playing beside them, laying on them, blowing bubbles at them (to have them pop). Hehe - once we thought the side of Marty's truck was dented because Cooper raced with such gusto after an errant bubble lifted on a breeze and he crashed full-force into the truck trying to keep it from lifting out of range. Chester and Cooper are goldendoodle brothers whose dad is a Standard Poodle and mom is a golden retriever. Louie is a huge golden retriever (not the tallest but the heaviest/sturdiest I've encountered) that was Marty's dog before we married. I brought a little black cat from Memphis when I moved here named Gilda. She thinks she is a canine and will "hold her own" with her brothers - except when Chester gives her a goose when he's feeling frisky and then its worth a race around the house or yard.

Julia had watched dogs from her foster home we had been told but apparently didn't have much contact before meeting our guys. She was cautious but curious and we kept the child gate up so she could view them and get used to their habits once we arrived home. We found her "chatting" with them through that child gate within hours. The gate went down the next day and it was a smooth transition. Before her cleft was repaired and while she was still gorging her food she would get frequent "assistance" from Louie in cleaning her face. I was amazed watching this less than 20 pound child leaning into him to offer herself to his massive tongue (he's over 120#). He has always been gentle. The only bumps and pushes come from when the guys think Marty is about to go outside (potential walk) or throw the kong or such. They will scramble and then . . . look out!

The cat? Goodness. The first day upon our return Gilda walked to the door to be let out (she had been contained indoors while we were in China). I drew Julia's attention to her and said . . . "see the cat?" in a soft voice. The cat didn't approach or look at us - she was wanting the door opened. Julia screeched and began shaking in a movement similar to a seizure her horror was so very profound. I felt terrible and immediate picked Julia up and opened the door. Julia's terror was palpable. Egads - I considered the dogs as potentially traumatic but this little front-declawed feline? Now this cat Mary considers her personal domain and once Julia realized Mary's relationship (and that her interest in Gilda would drive Mary NUTS) then the problem resolved quickly.

Our front yard provides all sorts of places to explore and run and such. There is a creek mainly in the spring that crosses the property complete with a wooden bridge necessary to get to the very front of the yard. Since we are in Wisconsin we have snow in the winter and I believe a good balance of seasons. I sent lots of photos of snow so that the boys will have an idea of what is around the bend (we got over 100 inches last year). Being a transplanted Southern gal, I still think snow is absolutely exciting and find myself continuing to be fascinated by snow plows (until 2002 I had only seen them on the national news).

Yet I digress (I know you are shocked). Life around here is basically pretty simple. I recently became a stay-at-home mom and wonder how I managed when I was still working from home full-time. I guess you simply do what you need to and don't analyze. With the boys coming home I am not anticipating returning anytime soon - we'll get adjusted first and probably get the kids all settled in school. Did I say settled? Thinking positive. With adoption you are told to expect the worst and then delight in the results. I do believe that you have to consider all scenarios and have your eyes open but I absolutely do not believe that you should limit your families potential with negative thinking either. It can be a delicate balance.

Our house is a 70s ranch. Its not "fancy" by materialistic standards but we find it charming, safe, and filled with joy. I make no excuses. It is often cluttered and disorganized (I'm constantly working on that) but in my heart it is a castle. The children will not have their own individual rooms. I was raised sharing a room with my sisters until junior high and although it could get frustrating at times to share (we switched partners regularly) we also learned about compromise and . . . goodness all the secrets shared and frustrations that surfaced that goes along with not being compartmentalized in your own private domain. I'm not sure that if given the opportunity that I would have the children in individual rooms . . . I'd rather have more common living areas/play space. Did I mention a dishwasher? Ha!!

So, here's to life on Phillipson Pharms . . . Phillipson phields? :o) We feel we have our own little piece of paradise here.

1 comment:

A brief bio: said...

We have a doodle too! She's under our family photos (Clark and Crystal Tower). We LOVE her!!!!!! Your dogs are beauties.