Sunday, August 31, 2008

meltdowns, museums and mastry





It is just after 8 a.m. on our first day. Paul has been outside I say . . . all except five minutes since 6 a.m. He LOVES his bicycle. He rides now with confidence and has learned how to pedal and apply brakes. Marty has raised the seat as I think our clearance purchase could have been for a larger bicycle. And he doesn't care. He has a bicycle. He has glasses. He has a hat. And he has a family.

Mary and Sam are buds. I'm not sure about Samuel's name. It simply doesn't fit him. He's not a Samuel. He's just Sam at this point. And to be honest, we were having some real problems with him being out of control in Ethiopia. Now he's just a happy kid who is racing around and calling "Malee?" Mary is beside herself with glee. Her brothers are home. Currently she and Sam have alternated between playing "museum" and going outside to ride the tractor (parked) and blowing bubbles. Julia joined in the bubble fun. Mary has been outside longer today than I can remember.

Julia? She's having some problems with it all. I'm not sure if she's tired or overwhelmed. I've seen a gentle side of Sam that I have not known and Julia wants no part of it. For those of you that know her, she seeks comfort in the fuzz from her blanket and today she's about picked it bald in one spot. With the older kids so involved with each other (or Paul with his bike) then we have plenty of time to give her some extra hugs and such. I think she's going to be fine but I believe she misses her Alabama family as well as being out of sync with conditions here.

Let me scoot. Julia is alone in her room screaming "MINE, MINE" and all of her siblings have not been near her of late. We are about to prepare breakfast . . . i.e. Marty is going to make his famous scrambled eggs. The boys LOVE eggs and ate them each morning for breakfast.

I've hung a few coats. There is a pile of luggage/bags/stuff still in the living room but I'm simply to take one at a time and do it leisurely. I'm having too much fun trying to simply observe this family in flux and delighting at what I see.

6 comments:

Karmen and Greg said...

I feel like I'm some sort of stalker constantly checking your blog for photos and updates etc. I'm just so excited for you!

I'm sure the new activity is a little overwhelming to Julia -- I'm sure she will just need extra love and attention. As a girl with three brothers, I know boys can be overwhelming even when you have time to grow into them gradually. She'll get there ... in the meantime what joy you must have in seeing the boys enjoy their new home!

Karmen

Ruth said...

Great to see pictures!!! Looks like things are sure going to be very active around your house :-)

Rebecca said...

Welcome home!! Sounds like a bit of chaos, but good chaos. I can't even imagine....I was a tad overwhelmed with just Ava!! :)

Kim Walton said...

I'm with Karmen, I also feel like a stalker!

I SO ENJOY reading your blog!

thanks for sharing with us, Kim

Lisa said...

Love the pictures Carole! You can tell how happy the boys look. I am sure in time Julia too will adjust to those boys! Keep the posts coming I savor them!

Unknown said...

Wonderful pictures!! I was hoping for pics and updates when I logged on.
Carol & Alyssa