Monday, August 18, 2008

Passport


I am in the midst of also trying to ensure that we have all our paperwork in order - some extra forms we take to fill out for our embassy appointment, notarized home study, dossier copy (every required paper for the adoption), passports, etc. to pack in our handy-dandy backpack. They had been in the study on a shelf right above this very computer desk. A few days ago I went to register our trip with the US government and when I didn't immediately find my passport by reaching up, let the session time out for "another day/another time."



Well, yesterday I started trying to get this going in earnest. Mary and Marty's passports were right there. Mine and Julia's were not. I pulled out the desk and found a multitude of dust bunnies but nada on the passport front. Marty joined in. We sifted and sorted. He went to the basement to check my former workspace down there and I moved from cubbyhole to cubbyhole.



We were both tired and frustrated and trying to not lose perspective. Nada.



Marty kept telling me that he felt we had moved the two missing passports "just in case" we needed them for Julia's surgery or maybe when I applied for her social security or . . . something. I haven't needed them and I thought he was crossing over that edge of reasoning.



I finally had to give up and retreated to the bedroom. I'd been up at 4 and my eyes were dry and scratchy. I had researched how to obtain an emergency replacement and while it was EXPENSIVE I knew that this situation was not going to keep me from traveling to meet my sons for the first time and experience the country of their birth.



I prayed for clarity.



And without fanfare (I feel cheated) Marty walks in with the see-through Velcro folder he felt the missing documents were in and voila!



Where were the passports? Interestingly, they were in the middle of the floor of the boys' room. The room we have painstakingly cleared drawers for and folded clothes and culled all sorts of things to convert it from the "catch-all" status to their domain. No clutter anymore except for some pictures I need to move downstairs and a heavy clock that needs a good oiling of the mechanisms before being rehung. It wasn't "hiding" anywhere . . .



I don't need any more "excitement" around here!

1 comment:

Karmen and Greg said...

Oh Carole -- BREATHE -- I can almost feel the panic setting in. SO glad you found the replacement. May God give you grace and clear thinking to get everything else handled without incident. I'm thinking of you. I'm a GREAT organizer -- I think you should take me along to keep you on task and organize your life! HA! : )

Karmen