Monday, September 1, 2008

First 48 hours

Once again I must report that my children are amazing. They have really seemed to accept each other's presence without a lot of fanfare.

Samuel continues to have his moments (usually associated with sleep/nap) and I have begun to lie down with him. I know he is manipulative and has used fits successfully to get his way. But he's three. Until just at a week ago (remember they are eight hours ahead) we were only a photo to him and a hard concept to grasp. We've taken him from all that is familiar except for his brother. I may later regret forging this practice but I don't feel that we have the trust foundation set enough for him to know that we'll be there when he wakes and that everything will not keep changing.

We've seen more smiles and laughter and less tempering out and such. He has this . . . shimmy-like dance where he puts his hands in his pockets and then wiggles with his smile that will light up a room. It makes me laugh.

We had an outing today. Normally I would not take my just adopted children to the store so soon but Paul has expressed his desire to start school and we realized he did not have any supplies. The principal of his school knows he is coming and it is a matter of when, but when that time comes I want him armed. He went to meet Grammie (Marty's mom) yesterday with Mary. Marty returns to work tomorrow so since we were up at 3:12 this morning anyway we thought if we went to WalMart early it wouldn't be crowded, Marty would be available, and Paul could have the pleasure to pick his backpack, colors, etc. I think it went well. They were fascinated by the lobsters and just a few incidents of placing unapproved items in the basket. Sam and Julia were in baskets and Mary and Paul pretty much walked and rode the outsides of the baskets. They held hands often. Paul picked a Diego backpack and kissed his pencils before placing them the basket. Both Mary and Paul are packed up!

Once we returned from Walmart we headed around the block for our first official family walk (I was hoping that Samuel wouldn't "drop trou" as he did with Marty yesterday when walking the bike trail). Our back neighbor Rosie was in her swing in her yard enjoying the scenery of her koi pond. Marty continued with the dogs and the kids and I went to introduce her to her newest neighbors. Paul was ELATED to see her pond and fish. He kept leaning over them and reaching out his hand. All kids except Julia got their fingers wet. Paul was so very animated and continued to dance around and then perch precariously close.

And it was too much for Samuel. One quick shove on Paul's bottom sent him sprawling into the pond. It happened so very quickly and Paul struggled and was up and out before we could even really register. He is so QUIET! I swatted Samuel (which I swore I would not do) which had absolutely no effect. Paul was wearing his new tennis shoes that were less than an hour old (shaking head). Oh well~

So, he's back in his favorite Old Navy sweats (he is very cool natured) for now and the shoes are still drying.

Sheryl brought over spaghetti bake, garlic bread and jello with mandarin oranges. WOW! Mary called it lasagna and we said "fine" because three kids had second helpings (just not Julia).

Thank you again Sheryl. I'm still adjusting to the increase in kids and all that brings. It is chaotic at time but mostly joyful chaos.

I'll bet I've heard Mom/Mama/Mommy 5000 times today. If that is as bad as it gets, aren't I blessed?


So, we got all the kids to Mom's this evening (after finally waking Samuel from his nap he protested vigorously). She has now met both newest grandsons and I'm taken aback by how Paul will readily head to her and kiss her cheek.

These kids have such capacity for love. I continue to be humbled that we are their parents - ALL of them.

Just don't ask me at 3:12 in the morning! Ha!!

1 comment:

Karmen and Greg said...

Oh my goodness -- a dunk in the pond already??? : ) And with his new shoes none the less ... HA! Carole, welcome to being the mother of BOYS! : ) All in all, though, it sounds like all is going quite well!

Karmen