Saturday, September 20, 2008

Friday - Single Parent Day

I was rather dreading today. Its not like Marty has a LOT of time home lately with the children awake but tonight he wasn't going to make it home before they were tucked in bed. Things get crazy and while at times I can "go with the flow" there are other times when I find myself surprisingly rigid and unbending.

I wasn't sure how I would gauge the day. But Hahn came over in the morning. She is Marty's sister visiting from Florida with her daughter (from NM) and they are staying the block behind us at Mike and Sheryl's house. She offered to take ALL the children to the park behind us, thus allowing me the ability to fire up the lawnmower. I took to this task with gusto. I was able to work out any frustrations or such with the ragtag flowerbeds that were long dormant. I saw far too many frogs of various sizes and varieties fleeing and would try to avoid confrontation. I began to perspire and that just felt MARVELOUS. I was free. I was accomplishing something that would show for a couple of days (instead of housework which may last 15 minutes). I felt and feel refresh and invigorated. Thank you Hahn!

Then a dear friend Julie P. that I met through our adoption of Julia came over to bring four totes of clothes for the boys. Wow - and once again I cannot say "gently used" as there were things in there that still had tags. My boys can be picky though and I thought it might be best to have them assess before being greedy over such nice things. Chaos ensued. One bin would be opened and things that were too small were being tussled over. Pants were worn on the head and there was one darling jean skirt that Samuel had a particular passion for. It was wild there for a bit.

Hahn and Jenny returned and it got a mite more hectic before it began to calm down. I had actually never met my niece before and afraid that I was more than a bit distracted - but sure we'll get a time to visit in before she leaves. Both Jenny and Paul have reminded me today that I have been lax in taking pictures but at the moment I am not able to locate my camera . . . one was damaged during the trip and the other I have hidden from apparently myself as the guys think electronics are NEAT and since they don't really have the concept of possessions, they also have trouble with boundaries. I'll get on that . . . as Scarlett would say "tomorrow."

After a bit things got more settled. The children were tired and I led them back for a REST (we don't say nap around here as I don't require sleep as if they will just be still awhile they most likely will succumb quickly). Julia was out first and Mary crept her way into the boys' room. This of course resulted in conflict as three children usually mean that one is excluded. That "one" became Samuel and Paul and Mary would shift from top to bottom bunk readily to avoid Samuel and I just ached at seeing his hurt. He's always had his brother and this upstart of a sister was elbowing her way in and him out for the moment.

I carried him out and into the living room to continue visiting with Julie. Samuel then crawled from my arms to hers and settled in and was asleep in no time. I think Julie enjoyed my snuggler. Mary and Paul never did sleep but then again . . . they are even more tired tonight. Hooray!!!

After Julie left we had some time to regroup and I admit . . . I used DVDs to entertain for a mite. Two bags of microwave popcorn in the middle of the floor and The Incredibles then the Garfield Tale of Two Kitties had my children for the most part entertained.Dinner became a smorgasbord of various leftovers which the children thought was fabulous. I ended up eating their leftovers we had on hand. We ended the night with the lights dimmed and each child with a flashlight. Games of tag and chase became that much more animated and repeated warnings of "no light in the eyes".

Marty called before I had them in bed and I allowed them to stay up actually over an hour past their bedtime to be able to see their dad. It is such a kick to watch them greet him. For those that have not been to our house, our front living room window is centered in the room and is a bow-window. I had the curtains open although it was DARK and the children did not know Marty had arrived home. He was on the front porch peering in at them and gently tapped. I'm not sure who realized he was outside first but the joy escalated beyond measure in flash and he was given the royal greeting.

It was a good day. I still have to sort through the clothes but the house is still standing, dishes are done, laundry is almost caught up (the boys bath always entails washing another load of towels), and I'm not any the worse for wear, thanks to helpful friends and family.

Marty leaves for work once again early tomorrow but we are planning to explore more as a group. I'm pleased with this day and oh-so-grateful that I have a husband that adores his role of parent with me.

No comments: