Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Splish splash



Its hard to write this post. With adoption there are uncertainties. With parenting there are uncertainties.

Especially when you introduce boys in with your girls there are warnings to watch carefully and to look for signs of molestation in both the boys (as victims or predators) and guard the children at home. I will be a mother to all my children and protect them all from harm to the best of my ability.

I had pondered about how I would assume the role of mother to boys. I had not dealt with boys before. I wasn't sure how to handle assisting with bathroom habits or bathing or such. Would they be embarrassed? Should I defer to Marty? What about the girls with the boys? How can I be Mama with limitations?

Well Samuel who is wearing between an 18 month and a 2T arrived from the orphanage in 4T pants. This isn't at all to complain as they were clean and loved and well-cared for, but simply to convey how terribly large the pants were on him and he looked like one of those teens with the droopy pants except that he didn't have underwear on to reveal to the world. We began searching our stash of clothing immediately upon coming to the guest house in Ethipia to see what we had that may be appropriate. He noticed our activity and stripped naked immediately in the bedroom. That set the stage for our embarrassment level around them. They readily shower/change in front of me and nakedness is simply that - the lack of clothes and not a source for shame or even curiosity.

Last night Samuel went to time out for spitting out his Jello in the floor and as I went to get him back out I stopped to run a bubble bath. The kids were covered in chalk dust and I thought I'd simply start with him. He was NOT happy with the bubbles and kept trying to simply stand in the tub and attempting a quick cleansing with his hands and looking for the shower as we've done before. Mary and Julia were immediately in the room and stripping before I could stop them. Julia was trying to climb in with her diaper on and Mary was scooping up the bubbles and sculpting a beard. Samuel wasn't happy still and any attempt to have him sit was not greeted warmly. The girls were situated happily and they began pouring from cups and pitchers in the tub and I was trying to show Sam how the "paper dolls" could be utilized by sticking them on the tile. I feel a hand on my shoulder and Paul is bracing himself to step in as well.

I have to laugh as he scoops up the bubbles playfully and grabs the cups and is mesmerized by the water. Samuel immediately changes his tune and is giggling. Paul reverts suddenly to caregiver and begins to bath his siblings. Mary isn't sure of it. He pours a cup of water of Julia's head which she doesn't like. Her protests are met with yet another dousing. The splashing begins and suddenly they are all attempting to swim. I call to Marty to get the camera (he finds his) and I'll upload that one as well.

And suddenly, black/white - boy/girl just dissipates. These are simply children, MY children. I will watch and protect and guide but they are simply children that are enjoying their first bath. Paul told me that he'd never done that before. I reminded him of his immersion at Pewee and Rosie's house with the fish yesterday and he beams and laughs. He liked this one better. He thinks he'll prefer to bathe now.

Ahh the simple delights in life.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So good......

Karmen and Greg said...

What a cute story and even cuter pictures. Yes Carole, these are simply children -- YOUR children. They are precious!

Karmen

Elizabeth Bergeron said...

You are doing so great with your kids!! I love the bath photo! Yes, they are YOUR children and GOd's children. Enjoy them.