Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Sunday's outing








I guess Sunday was our official "coming out" party for the guys. We had previously made an attempt at church (that is another story in itself) the week before - but didn't quite make it through the service and this time the whole family was there.

And what a marvelous time! The affair officially began at 1 but we didn't arrive until almost 3 (mowing, bathing, food preparation, naps, visiting Marty's mom). I could sense Paul's apprehension. Mary's take was . . . a picnic? Do I have to eat anything??? And this is the child that is supposedly linked to my DNA (laughing).

We knew most people on arrival and the children were dispersed in various activities as there was a playground, basketball, soccer, chalk, bubbles, etc. Mary takes off immediately to tag up with her friend Grace and the the boys are rather dumbfounded by this presence of people. Most have already eaten (imagine the children didn't wait two extra hours . . . ) and we start to assemble some plates for those that desire. The weather is marvelous . . . warm but not hot unless you chased too many youth on the soccer field (Marty). Of course my sons are in long pants and Sam is actually in a sweat suit at times with the hood up. They just intrigue me as I am such a weenie when it comes to heat and I'm having a hard time adjusting to having cold-natured children. Even my daughters both refuse any and all covers when sleeping.

The boys played more with each other or alongside other children as opposed to WITH them - and that is just fine with me. I knew we had a football game later tonight and Marty and I had agreed that if we stayed until 5 we'd still have plenty of time to get all of our "to dos" accomplished and have the children tended to and still have plenty of time to enjoy the game. The game is another matter entirely but my sister and brother-in-law rejoice with the outcome. I love Mary and Craig so if we are going to lose I guess it is best to lose to someone who has die hard fans near to my heart.

I did the initial gathering as a good wife at 4:57 to honor our previous agreement and was pleasantly surprised when there were no takers! Everyone was happily situated in play or looking for more food or such and that to me was a measure of the days events.

Here's a few photos of the events . . . the bubble-maker was by far the most intriguing for all of my children, although we did "catch" Julia drinking the container on more than one occasion.

I'd call the outing an overwhelming success. When asked if they'd like to do this again all children gave a resounding "yes" without hesitation.

No comments: