Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Paul school update

Today at lunch Mary was chatting about school. Paul didn't seem distressed but didn't seem that interested either. I asked him (once again) if he would like to go to school. He didn't immediately answer but he eventually turned his face toward me and then looked PAST me and wagged his finger . . . "No."

I told him that it would be just fine to stay home. He doesn't have to push himself to be in class at this point. He could stay home and we'd still go to school to take MARY, but then he'd be coming home with me. He seemed to relax.

And true to my word as we got to the school I parked on the street (further from the building) and warned the kids to stay put, locked the van, and then went inside with Mary. We talked with the principal who was more than understanding and then went to their classroom. It was offered that Paul could come if/when he wanted and stay for a partial class if he'd like. They are so open and understanding. Furthermore Ms. B walked out with me to the van, said "Hello" to Paul and they exchanged a "high five" as well. He seemed to exhale deeply when we pulled away and I was able to show him that I wasn't blowing smoke at him.

Pick-up went just fine and Mary returned with work for Paul in her backpack. He can do whatever class projects on his own at home and turn them in through his sister so that when he does come back he won't be left out or behind. His work/projects will be there with the rest of his classmates/future friends.

All right!!

No comments: