Sunday, September 7, 2008

Mayhem and motorcycles

We planned church today. We planned church today. Julia was screaming in her sleep at regular intervals, the windows were up and someone was burning something during the night and we all woke with "crud" in our throats (although it smelled glorious).

I finally moved Julia to our bed after 5 a.m. and of course that prompted Mary to move as well. Julia drifts to sleep and Mary flips and flops and fusses with being covered. I'm exposed as she moves on top of the comforter. Marty is either feigning sleep or infuriatingly able to rest. I get up.

The boys begin their morning assault on the household and I shush and whisper and then even threaten. I shut all doors in the hallway (including one of the bathrooms) and instruct them to silence. When they drift back there I stand in the hallway protectively and motion their retreat. We watch Veggie Tales and snuggle in the living room while the rest of the family sleeps.

And I'm at peace. Sarah and Andy have the drive back today and I don't want them exhausted for it. I know that Marty is needing rest and he needs to head back to work again today for a few more hours. Mary then Julia join us. I have my children gathered as the sunlight streams in and the morning unfolds.

I worship. Oh how wonderful are His works. His love envelopes me. I am so very blessed.

Later the rest of the household wakens and as Andy begins to apologize for sleeping I let them know that I am at peace. I have my family surrounding me. The boys head outside while Marty prepares for work.

And suddenly Paul races in all flush with excitement. Mom? Mom???? He pantomimes a face shield and helment and then mounts a motorcycle and I understand. Marty has ridden in and Paul is beside himself in the fascination of his father and the fact that a motorcycle has been in the garage.

Ahh, the sense of discovery is just so joyful. And I'm grateful and humbled by my family here as well as scattered about this nation (and in Ireland).

1 comment:

Joanne said...

I have that wonderful imagine of you and your children snuggled on the sofa :) Wonderful!